Principal Design Engineer – Fluid Control
Hartmann Young are working in exclusive partnership with a global leading manufacturer of highly engineered products, services and system solutions for the Defence industry. My client has multiple manufacturing facilities throughout the Europe, Asia and the Americas servicing over 5,000 customers worldwide.
The role is essentially technical, but will involve the management and execution of engineering projects, generating the required product design-drawing-manufacturing information and providing sales, commercial and production support as appropriate.
- Responsibility for gaining competitive advantage through engineering and product design.
- Supporting improvements in engineering productivity (as measured by timely delivery of engineering information in line with Company and market requirements), and in improved accuracy and error reduction of engineering information output.
- Participate in (and manage if appropriate) the identification and development of new products and market opportunities.
- Achieving and maintaining a level of technical expertise in specified technical or market areas with a detailed knowledge of appropriate products that would command the respect of customers, suppliers and in-house personnel allowing the job holder to function as a technical authority for the Company.
- Ensure Company compliance with customer technical standards and statutory directives (typically European directives PED, TPED, ATEX etc.) that apply to our industry and type of product. Where necessary develop an understanding of regulatory requirements and technical standards that apply in other jurisdictions and market areas where our products may be sold.
- Provide technical leadership and direction for all staff assigned to your projects. Provide inputs for the setting of objectives and improvement targets for assigned staff.
- Contribute as required to the Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS); coach, mentor and support Engineering staff, in particular young engineers, encouraging them to develop their skills and achieve professional status.
- Contribute to business improvement activities, specifically Kaizen events, and operate in such a way as to bring about continuous improvement overall.
- Ensure smooth working relationships with other areas of the Company. Encourage co-operative working between departments and staff to achieve the best results at all times.
- Supervise the implementation, use, upgrading and day to day use of the Engineering departments CAD, EPDM and analytical facilities. Collaborate as required with the IT department on the use of any add-ons that interface with the CAD/EPDM system and other elements of the Company’s IT infrastructure.
« Go to Job Search
- Engineering degree or equivalent and preferably Chartered Engineer status
- Preferably membership of an appropriate institution such as the I.Mech.E.
- Technical experience in fluid controls field, ideally in high pressure pneumatic systems
- Experience of managing projects and staff in an engineered product environment.
- A minimum of five years experience of design and development of valve or fluid control systems